10 way-too-early reactions to the first days of MLB
Major League Baseball is back and better than ever. Not only have the pace-of-play rules sped up the game, but in doing so have made it easier to watch. It doesn’t hurt that the first few days of the season are filled with aces, home runs and general excitement that baseball season is back. While some teams have only played one game, some have played three, meaning it’s never too early to give you my reactions to the start of the season.
Editor’s note: Don’t take these too seriously
1. Rockies shortstop Trevor Story will be better than Troy Tulowitzki
- How about 3 HR’s in 10 at-bats….not too shabby to start your MLB career, considering he is only playing due to Jose Reyes off-the-field issues.
2. The new slide rule stinks now, but will be forgotten by September
- America has short-term memories, and this new slide rule will take some getting used to. Talk to me in late August if you are still “mad”.
3. The Chicago Cubs are clear World Series favorites
- It may only be two games, but man they look good!
4. The Oakland Athletics could be the worst defensive team in recent memory
- I though last year’s A’s team was bad on defense, but after a Spring Training that saw them average over one error per game, they started off with two on Opening Night that cost them a victory.
5. Carlos Correa will lead the majors in RBI
- The dude knows how to knock in runs and started the season off with two against the Yankees yesterday.
6. The Brewers are going to bad, like Houston Astros from a few years ago bad
- Milwaukee even has some Houston cast-offs (Santana, Villar and Carter), so Brewers fans be prepared to lose, but in a few years it’ll pay off.
7. The Blue Jays have the best offense in MLB…and it’s not close
- What a lineup, now if the pitching staff can hold up we are looking at the best team in the AL. Oh and if you play fantasy baseball this is a must-read.
8. It’s an even year meaning the Giants are legitimate World Series contenders
- They have a very underrated rotation (Mad-Bum, Cueto, Samardzija, Peavy, Cain) and a supremely underrated lineup with newcomber Denard Span making a huge difference immediately.
9. Dallas Keuchel will compete for the AL MVP
- After a slow start in the freezing cold, Keuchel was able to shut down the Yankees bats in his first start this season. Oh and I predicted this would happen.
10. The Cardinals run of dominating the NL Central is over
- They won’t even make the playoffs.
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- 2019 UB Bulls Football Season Preview - July 15, 2019
- 2019 Colorado Buffaloes Football Preview - July 15, 2019
- Running back battles to watch prior to Training Camp - July 11, 2019