College Hoops Preview: Canisius plays host to Albany
Canisius (5-5) vs. Albany (6-4)
Date: Monday, Dec. 12, 2016
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Buffalo, N.Y. | Koessler Athletic Center
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Andy Helwig (color)
Live Audio: 1230-AM/102.9-FM (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
- This is the third meeting all-time. The teams split their first two meetings.
- Canisius defeated Albany 64-60 in the 2008 edition of the ESPN BracketBuster series. That game was played in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- Albany won the first ever meeting by 28 points during the 2008-09 season
Get to know Canisius before tip-off
- The Canisius Golden Griffins play their final home game of the 2016 calendar year tonight when the team plays host to Albany.
- Junior Kassius Robertson is tied for second in the MAAC in scoring average at 17.9 points per game. He had a game-high 27 points in the win Saturday, his fourth 20-plus point performance in the team’s last five games.
- The Griffs are coming off a 91-81 win over St. Francis Brooklyn Saturday.
- Freshman guard Malik Johnson dished out a career-high eight assists in the win over St. Francis Brooklyn. Those eight assists are the most for a Canisius rookie since Frank Turner had 11 assists Feb. 13, 2007 against Niagara.
- Canisius starts tonight’s game ranked third in the MAAC in scoring average at 77.1 points per game. The team ranks second in the league in field goal shooting percentage at 46.1 percent from the floor.
- Canisius comes into this evening’s game with a 5-5 record, with wins coming in four of the team’s last five outings, dating back to Nov. 26.
- After shooting just 32.3 percent from the field in a home loss to Tennessee State Nov. 23, the Griffs are shooting 49.5 percent from the field and 49 percent from 3-point land in their last five contests.
- The Griffs are averaging 86.6 points per game in their last five contests, highlighted by a season-high 91-point effort in the win over St. Francis Brooklyn on Saturday.
Get to know Albany before tip-off
- Albany comes into tonight’s game with an overall record of 6-4. The Great Danes have won two straight after scoring a 74-66 win at Colgate on Saturday afternoon.
- The Great Danes are 2-2 on the road this season, including a season-opening win at Penn State Nov. 11.
- Albany comes into tonight’s game with a 2-0 record against MAAC schools. The Great Danes have wins over Siena (81-72) and Marist (78-66).
- Sophomore Joe Cremo leads the leads the Albany offense with his 17 points per game. He has posted 20-or more points in four different games this season.
- Fellow sophomore David Nichols ranks second on the team in scoring average with 16.2 points per game. He has scored in double-figures eight times in the team’s first 10 games to date.
I will be covering tonight’s game from press row and will have a full recap as well as interviews with coaches and players afterwards. Be sure to stay tuned to My Fantasy Sports Talk for all of your Canisius and College Basketball needs!
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- CBB: Rider vs Arizona State Preview and Pick - November 16, 2019
- CBB: Howard vs Robert Morris Preview and Prediction - November 14, 2019
- CBB: Siena vs Harvard Preview and Prediction - November 14, 2019