Countdown to Marvel Studios ‘Captain America: Civil War’
Marvel fans! We are less than a month away from the first showings of Marvel Studios ‘Captain America: Civil War‘ and the movie promises to be one of the most thrilling and emotional Marvel movies to date. This will be the third installment in the Captain America stand-alone films but it feels more like Avengers 2.5, although the Russo’s claim it’s far from that. In fact, the only members missing from The Avengers are Thor and Hulk but we get new members to the MCU, Black Panther and Spider-Man. I think so far Marvel has done an excellent job selling the ‘Civil War’ part of the movie but not so much selling that it’s a Captain America movie first. We know the story will center around Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) and Bucky/Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) relationship, but the trailers/previews have mostly set up the conflict between Captain America’s team and Iron Man’s team. I hope we see more of Cap/Buck since we have pretty much seen Cap and Tony fight in every Avengers movie so far. But none the less I am excited for this film and interested to see if the Russo’s will make good on the film being an “emotional horror story”.
We know the film wont be all about Captain America/Iron Man fighting. Daniel Bruhl has been cast as the films ‘big baddie'( hopefully not one and done) Baron Zemo.
If you are not familiar Daniel Bruhl then I suggest you go and watch ‘Inglorious Bastards‘. Also adding to the list of bad guys for ‘Civil War‘ will be Frank Grillo’s Crossbones.
Personally I feel like this movie is closing a chapter on some of the original MCU characters and there are even hints that certain characters might die. In the Civil War comic book story line (which this film is very loosely based on) SPOILER ALERT: Captain America dies. Now like most comic book characters deaths, usually it isn’t permanent, but this would be a huge move for Marvel. DC sure doesn’t mind killing off its superheroes— only two films in. But there are also rumblings that War Machine (Don Cheadle) might be killed off. Don Cheadle even commented saying “It does look bad for Rhodey“. Now this does not mean that he dies but is more a reference to the footage shown in the trailers.
Avengers: Age of Ultron helped set up a new core Avengers team with Scarlett Witch,Vision, and Falcon along with Captain America and Black Widow. ‘Civil War’ will also bring in Ant-Man (Paul Rudd). This is a pretty stacked movie but Marvel has proven it can cram several characters in, and the film not feel bloated. But this film will have Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Winter Solider, War Machine, Scarlett Witch, Vision, Falcon, Crossbones and Baron Zemo. Some of these names might have very short screen time but this is a very character-heavy movie and sure feels like Avengers 2.5. But I feel like this will help set up the next MCU with newer characters and I am very excited for Black Panther.
Now we know that movie will focus on Cap and Bucks relationship but it will also focus on three other MCU movies. Those movies are The Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and Avengers: Age of Ultron. The ending results of these movies prompt the government to put the heroes in check and while Steve disagrees, Tony is all for it and thinks they need to be kept in check.
To prepare yourself for the movie I highly recommend watching these five MCU movies to either refresh you on the characters or if you are new to the MCU then these will introduce you to them.
- Iron Man (2008) – This is Tony Starks origin movie and where the MCU began. It is still one of the better made comic-book movies to date and Robert Downey Jr. was born to play Tony Stark/Iron man.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) – Travel back to World War 2 and see how a scrawny Steve Rogers became the Super Solider known as Captain America. Chris Evans gives an excellent performance but the highlight of the movie is Hugo Weaving’s Hydra Leader, Red Skull.
- The Avengers (2012) – This film is the culmination of four solo MCU movies, 5 if you count The Incredible Hulk. This was the movie Marvel had worked hard to set up and it paid off as this was the top movie of 2012 and is considered to be one of the best comic book movies ever made. The Battle of New York will play a role in Civil War.
- Captain America: Winter Solider (2014) – This is by far the best Marvel movie made to date. This film will introduce you to the Winter Solider character (Sebastian Stan) and give you a flashback to his days as Bucky in Captain America: The First Avenger. This movie also will introduce you to Falcon (Anthony Mackie) and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) has a supporting role.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) – Not the best Marvel movie made and it surely squander a great villain in Ultron but still a solid film with many great moments. This will introduce you to Scarlett Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany). The events at Sokovia are what cause the Sokovia Accords during Civil War.
The movies highlighted are the movies which are key to the conflict in Civil War and will better prepare you for the film. Iron Man and Captain America’s solo films are excellent and will help you get introduced to them both. Also for additional viewing I would check out The Incredible Hulk, this will get you acquainted with General ‘Thunderbolt’ Ross (William Hurt) who will reprise his role. Also check out Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) which will give you his origin story.
Civil War has the potential to be the biggest opening Marvel movie to date. The addition of Spider-Man surely will bring intrigue and help fill seats. The only determining factor will be how well the movie works with all the characters and if it’s truly a Captain America movie or Avengers 2.5. Age of Ultron could not live up to its predecessors hype and fell below expectations. Captain America: Winter Solider is considered to be the best made Marvel movie even over The Avengers. The Russo’s have proven they can make a terrific film so there is no reason to doubt them now. They also have been given the reigns to the next Avengers installment ‘Infinity Wars’.
Marvel dropped a new TV spot yesterday with some new footage and Marvel has promised that we will see a sneak peek at the film during next weekend’s MTV Awards. You can see the new TV spot below.
Have I mentioned how excited I am for Black Panther?! I feel he is going to steal the show and his confrontation with Winter Solider and Captain America is going to be something special. I am not sold on Spider-Man yet and I am not sure how large his role will be in the film but there is still plenty of other bright spots to be excited for. It is a great time to be a fan!
Captain America: Civil War opens on April 29th, 2016 in the United Kingdom
Captain America: Civil War opens on May 6th, 2016 in North America
Latest posts by Cainan Myracle (see all)
- New ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Trailer – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - March 28, 2017
- ‘Justice League’ Teaser Trailer and Official Poster Arrive - March 23, 2017
- Why Matt Vaughn Directing Man of Steel 2 Would Be A Good Thing - March 14, 2017