Draft Profile: Jameis Winston
MFST will run a series of articles dedicated on the NFL Draft. These draft profiles will give rankings and analysis on top draft prospects.
1. Jameis Winston- Quarterback Florida State
Size: 6’4 230lbs
2013 Stats: 257/384 4,057 yards 40 TDs 10 INTs
2014 Stats: 305/467 3,907 yards 25 TDs 18 INTs
- Strong Arm- Can make all the throws to all areas of the field
- Very accurate on all levels- short, middle, deep
- Good mobility in the pocket- reads pressure and can move laterally, and vertically to escape
- Proven winner- 27-1 college record, with 1 National Championship
Analysis: Winston is clearly the most skilled and talented quarterback in this draft class. He has all the physical tools to succeed at the next level. However, due to off the field concerns he could not be the first quarterback off the board on draft night.
Need to Improve:
- Off the field distractions
- On Field decision making- too many interceptions in 2014
Analysis: As you see Winston’s negative traits that will hurt him with NFL teams is all mental. Winston is severely immature, and it is that reason alone he could slip in the draft.
Projected Round: 1
NFL Comparison: Ben Roethlisberger