Draft Profile: Leonard Williams
MFST will run a series of articles dedicated on the NFL Draft. These draft profiles will give rankings and analysis on top draft prospects.
1. Leonard Williams- Defensive End- USC
Size: 6’5 300lbs
2012 Stats: 64 tackles 8 sacks 13.5 tackles for loss 1 INT
2013 Stats: 73 tackles 5 sacks 12.5 tackles for loss
2014 Stats: 80 tackles 7 sacks 9.5 tackles for loss 1 INT
- Can play all defensive line positions
- Solid gap placement- very hard to move him from his spot
- Keeps pad level low
- Solid pass rush- very good stunt man
Analysis: Leonard Williams is blessed with a physical skill set that most defensive lineman can only dream about. Williams plays with brute strength, but his athleticism sets him apart. Most offensive lineman can’t move him off the ball, and if they do he has the speed and acceleration to catch up to the play. Amazingly, Williams is still learning the position, but he can play the 3 gap, 5 gap, or 7 gap techniques. Great effort pass rusher who excels with stunts and twists.
Need to Improve:
- Timing- slow off the snap
- Pass rush moves- not mastered
- Raw at the position
- Takes plays off
Analysis: Williams raw talent alone could be enough to get himself drafted #1 overall, but the young lineman is still learning. Williams has perfected zero pass rush moves, and is too high when engaging lineman on the bull rush. Not every game, but I saw plays where Williams seemed disinterested and effort was not max. With good coaching, Williams could be great.
Round Prediction: Top 5
NFL Comparison: Ndamukong Suh
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- Midwest Region: Washington vs Utah State Prediction - March 19, 2019
- South Region: Oregon vs Wisconsin Prediction - March 19, 2019
- South Region: Colgate vs Tennessee Prediction - March 19, 2019