Draft Profile: Marcus Mariota
MFST will run a series of articles dedicated on the NFL Draft. These draft profiles will give rankings and analysis on top draft prospects.
2. Marcus Mariota- Quarterback Oregon
Size: 6’4 219lbs
2012 Stats: 230/336 2,677 yards 32 TDs 6 INTs
2013 Stats: 245/386 3,665 yards 31 TDs 4 INTs
2014 Stats: 304/445 4,454 yards 42 TDs 4 INTs
- Strong Arm- can throw to all areas on the field
- Mobility in the pocket- very good at escaping pressure
- Great decision making- 14 INTs in 1,167 passes. Does not make poor decisions.
- Can throw on the run- better than any quarterback in this draft class
- High character guy
Analysis: Mariota has shown all the tools to be a successful starting quarterback at the next level. In terms of maturity, Mariota is the exact opposite of Jameis Winston–and that’s a good thing for Marcus. Mariota put up huge stats and capped 2014 off with the Heisman Trophy, and has shown NFL scouts he is a true leader not just on the football field, but off as well.
Needs to Improve:
- Throwing Mechanics
Analysis: While Mariota has a great head on his shoulders he still needs to add some weight to compete on a NFL field. Mariota’s current size could pose durability issues for many NFL teams. Watching tape on the Oregon QB it is obvious to me he needs to work on his footwork, especially while throwing on the run–he does not always square his shoulders before throwing (causing passes to float high). In order to succeed in the NFL, he will need to be in a system that suits his needs, otherwise he is doomed for failure.
Round Prediction: 1
NFL Comparison: Randall Cunningham
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- South Region: Iowa vs Tennessee ATS Pick - March 23, 2019
- Midwest Region: Auburn vs Kansas Prediction - March 22, 2019
- East Region: Minnesota vs Michigan State Prediction - March 22, 2019