Fantasy Alert: Do NOT start any Raiders in tonight’s TNF game [Raiders at Chiefs]
When the Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs got together for their twice yearly meetings over the last 57 years, there’s always been a certain edge to the competition.
Generally what has been on the line is pride, reputation and honor. Every once in a while the payoff is even larger. The latter is the case Thursday night when the Raiders visit Arrowhead Stadium to play the Chiefs. Kickoff is set for 7:35 p.m. in what is predicted to be a frigid evening, with temperatures in the high-teens and a wind-chill factor that will make it feel like 10 degrees.
The weather conditions just may help the 9-3 Chiefs cool off the hot 10-2 Raiders. The battle is for control of the AFC West, where Oakland is the leader and the Chiefs sit a game behind. But Kansas City won the first game between the teams 26-10 back in October in Oakland. Since that game the Raiders have not lost, racking up six consecutive victories by an average margin of nine points. Carr has become the first player in NFL history to throw five game-winning touchdown passes in the fourth quarter or overtime in a season.
But this game offers more implications to just these two AFC West teams. Of course, I’m talking about fantasy football and the playoffs that have started in many leagues around the country.
Tonight’s matchup involves multiple players on the Raiders who are in play with many fantasy football owners and I am here to help. Do NOT start any of them.
Here are 3 reasons why…
- The game time temperature will be below 20 degrees and with a severe wind chill, it could be feel like it is below freezing
- The wind will play a factor. Gusts up to 20 mph can occur.
- Derek Carr has struggled in bad weather games. Case-in-point the first meeting between these teams in week 6 (Carr Struggled mightily in the rain)
2. Andy Reid and the Chiefs own Derek Carr and the Raiders
- KC coach Andy Reid has had a recent mastery over the Raiders since he took the Chiefs–he’s 6-1 vs. the Raiders in three-plus seasons as Chiefs coach.
- And Reid has specifically been tough on Del Rio–in his Raiders coaching career, Del Rio is 0-3 vs. Reid’s Chiefs
- Derek Carr is 1-4 against the Chiefs
- He only manages 4.82 yards per attempt against the Chiefs
- He has thrown more INT’s against the Chiefs (5) than any other team
- He has been sacked a career-high 17 times against KC
3. The game is being played on Thursday Night
- Thursday Night games are always the sloppiest. Teams don’t have enough time to prepare and put in a full game-plan
- Away teams struggle on Thursday night. They are 5-10 on the season during these mid-week games
- Away teams average 13.8 points per game in those losses. That is less than two touchdowns a game for those keeping track at home.
With all these factors, and the fact that you are likely playing for your fantasy football season, I would stay away from any Oakland Raiders in this game.
Here are my top fantasy plays for the game tonight…
1. Kansas City D/ST
2. Spencer Ware
3. Alex Smith
4. Tyreek Hill
5. Travis Kelce
Notice the similarities? Yes, they are all Chiefs and I expect the game to be low-scoring, but most of the scoring coming from the KC side.
Good luck this week to all who were lucky enough to make the postseason, or those hoping to clinch this week.
Dan Schalk Founded MyFantasySportsTalk.com, you can follow him on Twitter @FFSportsTalk
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- Danny Duffy quietly putting together a solid 2019 campaign - May 20, 2019
- Report: Eloy Jimenez to be activated Monday - May 20, 2019
- 2019 Eastern Conference Finals Predictions - May 14, 2019