Lipscomb vs Liberty Preview and Prediction
Lipscomb vs Liberty Preview
The battle of the ASUN undefeated’s as Lipscomb (16-4, 7-0) heads to Lynchburg, VA to take on Liberty (18-4, 7-0) in what will be an intense battle between two of the conferences best.
Both teams are 7-0 in league play and are ranked among the top mid-major programs in the country. It will be the third meeting between the schools. The Bisons won the first two in 2005 and 2006.
They are two of only 16 teams in Division I who are undefeated in conference action.
Both teams are off to their best starts in decades:
- At 18-4 overall, the Flames have matched their best start in school history (1991-92). Their 8-game win streak is the 12th-longest streak in the country.
- It’s the best start to a season for the Bisons since 1999-00 when they started 19-1.
Players to Watch
For Lipscomb, they are paced by two players: Garrison Matthews and Rob Marberry. Both players are seniors and can lead in scoring or rebounding on any given night.
Matthews has been dominant in league play–he is coming off back-to-back 31 point games against Stetson and FGCU and has scored at least 20 points in every league game besides one.
Marberry had his 33-game double-figure streak come to an end against the Eagles on Thursday after recording just eight points on 3-of-6 shooting. He is fourth overall in the ASUN in scoring at 16.4 PPG and seventh in league play at 15.5.
Liberty is is a more balanced attack with four players averaging in double figures all between 10-12.4 points per game. Junior Scottie James leads the way in scoring (12.4) and rebounding (8.5)–he also leads the ASUN in field goal percentage (68.7) this season.
- Liberty is ranked No. 12 in the College Insider Top-25 poll and No. 14 in the Mid-Major Top-25 poll.
- Lipscomb is ranked 6th in SB Nation’s Mid-Major Madness Top 25 and 8th in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Poll.
- Liberty ranks No. 5 in the country in scoring defense allowing 59.0 points per game.
- The Bisons have scored at least 80 points in all 10 games at home this season. On the road, however, they have reached 80 just three times – at Morehead State, Middle Tennessee and Stetson.
- Liberty is 10-0 at home on the season
LINE: -2.5 Liberty
Dan’s Bet: Under 136
This game is going to be close and very exciting to watch, but I can see this game going either way. I’m leaning Liberty at home, but I expect a low-scoring affair.
Score Prediction: Liberty 65 Lipscomb 60
Latest posts by Dan Schalk (see all)
- Report: David Ortiz shot over affair with drug lord’s wife - June 10, 2019
- 2019 NBA Finals Picks and Predictions - May 29, 2019
- Report: James Paxton close to returning to the mound - May 27, 2019