MFST’s: College Basketball Top 25
The college basketball season has finally tipped off and after an exciting first weekend of games, MFST has revealed our Top 25. These rankings are fluid and changes are bound to happen seemingly every week. So check back throughout the season to see where your team ranks.
If you are a college basketball fan, tonight starts ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon which gives you 24+ hours of non-stop basketball action. We previewed all the games going down during the marathon.
College Basketball Top 25
1. Duke Blue Devils (2-0)
- The Blue Devils picked up two easy victories over the weekend, defeating Marist and Grand Canyon by an average of 40 points without three of their top players ( Harry Giles III, Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden).
2. Oregon Ducks (1-0)
- Oregon won their opener in fairly easy fashion despite playing without Dillon Brooks.
3. Villanova Wildcats (1-0)
- Villanova beat Lafayette by 40 but their first tests comes against #15 Purdue tonight.
4. North Carolina Tar Heels (2-0)
- The Tar Heels beat Tulane in New Orleans and then lit up a very good Chattanooga team, who should make the NCAA Tournament by 40 points.
5. Indiana Hoosiers (1-0)
- The Hoosiers picked off Kansas in the Armed Forces Classic in a thrilling, overtime game. James Blackmon Jr. had 26 points and Curtis Jones looked like he’ll be an impact freshman, but the biggest takeaway from this win is that Indiana has the talent on their perimeter to create offense even with Yogi Ferrell off to the NBA.
6. Kentucky Wildcats (2-0)
- The Wildcats beat both Stephen F. Austin and Canisius this weekend, looking human against the Golden Griffins. But they have a real leader and floor general is sophomore guard, Isaiah Briscoe.
7. Arizona Wildcats (1-0)
- The Wildcats knocked off a very talented Michigan State team on Friday to earn a critical early-season non-conference win.
8. Virginia Cavaliers (1-0)
- Virginia was solid this weekend, winning a road opener in dominating fashion without their star center/forward, Austin Nichols.
9. Kansas Jayhawks (0-1)
- The Jayhawks lost to Indiana in a game where they played well. Frank Mason II was terrific while Josh Jackson … wasn’t. Kansas will be fine.
10. Gonzaga Bulldogs (1-0)
- The Zags beat Utah Valley by 23 points this week and look to have depth in all positions.
11. Louisville Cardinals (1-0)
12. Wisconsin Badgers (1-0)
13. Michigan State Spartans (0-1)
14. Xavier Musketeers (1-0)
15. Purdue Boilermakers (1-0)
16. Dayton Fliers (1-0)
17. Syracuse Orange (1-0)
18. Rhode Island Rams (1-0)
19. Virginia Tech Hokies (1-0)
20. Saint Mary’s Gaels (1-0)
21. Cincinnati Bearcats (1-0)
22. Creighton Blue Jays (1-0)
23. UCLA Bruins (2-0)
24. Florida State Seminoles (1-0)
25. Colorado Buffaloes (1-0)
Dan Schalk covers College Basketball for MFST, you can follow him on Twitter @FFSportsTalk