NBA Studs and Duds Week 1
3. Steph Curry- After finishing with a Championship and an MVP last season, it would seem hard to improve and continue to impress anybody around the league. Well Curry has found a way! Through four games he is averaging 37 points on 59 percent shooting. In addition to basically scoring at will, Curry is making defenses look foolish. His passing has wowed multiple times already. Whether a backwards, over the head, no look pass or an around the back, bounce pass through two defenders. Curry has scored over 20 points in three of the 16 quarters he has played in. To put that in perspective, Russell Westbrook did that the most last season, by doing it four times all season. The exciting part is that Curry goes up against the Clippers tonight (Wednesday), who he has been able to shake and bake with numerous dribble moves.
2. DeAndre Jordan– The man who caused a soap opera in the NBA this offseason had himself a pretty good first week. He was the butt of numerous memes mocking his scoring totals for the amount they are paying him. However, Jordan is currently averaging over 13 rebounds a game and 4.5 blocks. People mock his scoring, but he has never been a scorer. He is an inside rebounding presence and a rim protector on defense, and he proved that in week 1.
1. Andre Drummond- Detroit’s savior may have arisen this season. Drummond had average 13 points and 13 rebounds each of the last two seasons. After four games, Drummond is averaging 20 points and 19.5 rebounds. He put up two 20-20 games already, and has been the main reason the Pistons are 3-1. If he can keep it up, the Pistons may shift attention their way in the East.
3. Derrick Rose- There are expectations for Rose this year that he will stay healthy all season, and help to lead this team to win the East. So far Rose has average just a hair over 10 points. He is getting around 30 minutes a game, with that kind of court time, you would like to get more out of your star player. For all we know right now, it could just be the mask.
2. Anthony Davis- The up and coming “Best Player on the Planet” is struggle-bussing it through the first week. He has been held to less than 20 points twice and less than 10 rebounds in both of those games as well. In his defense, he has been given the task of trying to win basically on his own. The Pelicans have also had to meet the Warriors twice. Don’t plan to see Davis on this dud list any more this season.
1. James Harden- Sure he scored 37 points in their last game, but the scoring isn’t even the reason that Harden is the number one dud of the week. It is his 32 percent from the field and 17 percent from three-point land. Until his 37 point game, he was 3-32, including an 0-10 performance. This is supposed to be one of the top three-point shooters in the world. As with Davis, it is unlikely that Harden will be on this list anymore this season, but he has definitely built a solid foundation for the dud list with all of the bricks he has thrown up this week.