‘The Flash’ Recap and Review: “The Elongated Knight Rises”
After being found guilty, Barry was stuck behind bars when a familiar villain returned to Central City last week on The Flash. This episode’s title gave away its plot (we get their Batman reference) but it was still kind of fun to watch it unfold. Here’s are the highlights from last Tuesday’s episode, “The Elongated Knight Rises”.
- In Barry’s absence, Ralph gets more hero time. He successfully rescues hostages and a news anchor dubs him The Stretchy Man. While Ralph isn’t happy about that, Iris and Caitlin aren’t happy with his recklessness.
- Barry runs into Axel Walker aka The Trickster in prison just before Iris comes to see him. She gives him news on their attempts to get him out and Ralph’s development.
- Axel’s mom, Zoe Clark, breaks him out of Iron Heights. Clark went by Prank back in the day and was The Trickster’s girlfriend. Despite Axel’s desire, she doesn’t want Jesse back in their lives. The investigation brings Joe to Iron Heights. He and Barry have a quick chat and Joe tells Barry not to worry about Axel.
- The mysterious Big Sir steps in to protect Barry when inmates aren’t pleased about his chat with Joe. Barry’s confused but accepts his help. Better than being shanked. It turns out that Henry helped Big Sir during his time in prison.
- Ralph underestimates Trickster and Cisco has to save him when the baddie squirts Ralph with a superacid compound named Axid. It makes Ralph hesitant to face the Trickster and Prank when they call him out with hostages lives on the line. His solution, break Barry out of prison. Barry gives Ralph a pep talk and sends him on his way not wanting to cause more trouble.
- Big Sir tells Barry about how his dad operated on him and saved his life. This convo goes down just before Big Sir walks into an ambush. Barry comes across the attack and uses his speed to save him.
- Vibe and Killer Frost go out to stop Trickster, but end up captured instead. Ralph overcomes his fear and saves them in his new suit. He knocks out Trickster and jumps in front of the Axid shower, but Harry neutralizes it so he doesn’t get burned. His comments to the press post-rescue get him his canon nickname The Elongated Man.
- Dawn from Barry and Iris’ wedding pops back at Jitters and pays for Cisco and Ralph’s coffee while rambling. Her notebook has the same symbols that Barry was drawing when he came out of the Speed Force.
Final thoughts on The Flash
Ralph is silly but some of his jokes are a little corny. The writers are clearly trying to keep the show as light as possible after season three, but Ralph’s personality is a little exhausting. It’s nice to see him step up his game and become less of the jerk he’s been depicted as. I wasn’t a fan of his new suit though. Maybe he’ll get a better one. As for the other characters, I liked Big Sir and his backstory with Henry.
Overall, it was an okay episode. With Barry separated from the team everything has a new dynamic right after we settle back into him being back. I’m more interested to see how Dawn’s storyline plays out than I am with Ralph becoming a hero. I’m giving this week’s episode of Flash a 7/10. Favorite line: “Not today, Satan!” – Cisco
The Flash airs Tuesdays at 8 PM on the CW
Kira McCall covers entertainment for MFST. She’s a freelance writer and alum of Towson University where she studied advertising, public relations, and creative writing. Follow her on Twitter at cocovanilla45 (GirlsofManyFandoms) and kiramira_.
Latest posts by Kira McCall (see all)
- ‘Into the Badlands’ Finale Review: “Seven Strike as One” - May 11, 2019
- ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Recap and Review: “Missing Pieces” - May 11, 2019
- Catching Up on ‘Into the Badlands’ Before the Finale - May 6, 2019