The Matty Savage Review: No Mercy 2017
WWE No Mercy is officially in the books! The card had a lot of intriguing matches and the PPV certainly delivered in many of the matches! Let’s not waste any time and get to my thoughts on the main card matches.
1. The Miz (c) def. Jason Jordan
- No Mercy kicked off with the Intercontinental Championship match. The match was average and had predictable booking. When Michael Cole said something like, “the champ has the advantage in this one, Jason Jordan can only win via pinfall or submission”, I definitely thought this was going to end with Jordan winning by DQ due to interference from The Miztourage. Although they did interfere, they weren’t caught and thankfully Miz retains!
2. Finn Balor def. Bray Wyatt
- The second match of the night, despite having a good match, really disappointed me. I am forever backing up Bray Wyatt, but I’m not sure how much longer I can keep picking him to win. WWE continues its poor booking of Bray and he picks up another loss at No Mercy. Bray needed this win much more than Finn. He should’ve utilized the “injury” to Finn to his advantage and picked up a win. With Bray down 2-0, this feud is probably over..right?
3. Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose (c) def. Sheamus & Cesaro
- What a freakin’ match. Cesaro is a WARRIOR. In case you missed it, when Ambrose catapulted Cesaro into the post, Cesaro’s teeth smashed against it and blood instantly poured from his mouth. As reported today, Cesaro didn’t lose his teeth, they were actually pushed up 4-5mm into his jaw. It’s truly incredible that he was able to continue & finish the match. The match itself was awesome. Great tag team action, and great overall storytelling. I’ve gotta go 5 stars on this one, with Cesaro’s performance putting this one as match of the night for me.
4. Alexa Bliss (c) def. Bayley, Nia Jax, Sasha Banks & Emma
- The Goddess of WWE retains the RAW Women’s Championship in what turned out to be a pretty good match! There was good overall chemistry between the 5 women involved. Nia Jax took a hell of a powerbomb on the outside as well. Her Samoan drop of not one but TWO women at the same time was incredible too. Alexa escapes with a big win by pinning Bayley. I’m thinking they keep the title on her until Asuka’s in the picture.
5. Roman Reigns def. John Cena
- Let me start off by saying this – it was a great match. Started a bit slow, but in the end it was a great match. Now let me tell you what I didn’t like – Roman kicking out of EVERYTHING! I get it, WWE is clearly trying to make Roman “the guy”. But let’s be a little more realistic here. Cena has defeated superstars in the past with the “Super AA” from the top rope. Not Roman. Cena has defeated the likes of AJ Styles with a double AA. Not Roman. Roman has become what Cena used to be back in the day, “the guy” who kicks out of everything. Great match though from both superstars. It definitely lived up to the hype.
6. Enzo Amore def. Neville (c)
- Well everyone, it happened. 205 Live has officially hit a new low. Enzo Amore is the NEW Cruiserweight Champion. What a slap in the face to Neville, who is far and away the best cruiserweight in the division. Enzo is new to the division and has leaped over other deserving cruiserweights like Cedric Alexander, Akira Tozawa, Tony Nese, the list goes on. As much as I can dig Enzo on the mic, I just think it’s an overall poor booking decision. It’ll be interesting to see where they go with this.
7. Brock Lesnar (c) def. Braun Strowman
- The main event was really a letdown to me. There was a lot of hype behind this one, and it was just an average match. All the build of Braun Strowman over the past 6 months ends with just ONE F5. That’s what really disappoints me. I figured Brock would retain, but all it took was one F5 to keep the “Monster Among Men” down for the count? Come on man!
What are your thoughts on the No Mercy PPV? Sound off on social media or in the comments below!
Thanks for reading!
- Macho Man Matty Savage
Twitter – @_SmackTalk
Instagram – @_SmackTalk
Facebook – Facebook.com/WWESmackTalk
Latest posts by Mathew Aguiar - WWE SmackTalk (see all)
- The People’s Podcast – Elimination Chamber Predictions - February 15, 2019
- The People’s Podcast – TLC Predictions (12/13/18) - December 14, 2018
- SmackTalk Presents: Insider BA’s Rumor Mill (12/03/18) - December 4, 2018