The Matty Savage Review: Survivor Series 2017
With all the anticipation going into Survivor Series 2017, the PPV certainly delivered! It was a PPV that I was very excited for, and was impressed overall with the turnout. Let’s take a look back and review each match from last night.
1. The Shield def. The New Day
- The main card kicks off with an action packed match between The Shield and The New Day! This was a great choice to get the crowd fired up for the rest of the night. I originally predicted that this match would get the match of the night honors, if given enough time. It was the second longest match of the night (21:20), but there were a couple of matches that were just as good, if not better than this one. I didn’t think there was any way The Shield would lose this one, and they didn’t. RAW goes up 1-0 to kick off Survivor Series.
2. Team RAW (Alicia Fox, Asuka, Bayley, Nia Jax & Sasha Banks) def. Team SmackDown (Becky Lynch, Carmella, Naomi, Natalya & Tamina)
- Ahh..the women’s Survivor Series elimination match was so damn predictable. I think everyone expected Asuka to come out on top, and that’s exactly what happened. WWE couldn’t chance having her get pinned in this one as they continue to make her look like the best women’s superstar in the business. Meh. The actual match itself was ok. I enjoyed seeing Tamina look strong for a good portion of this match, even being the reason for Nia Jax being counted out. RAW goes up 2-0.
3. Baron Corbin def. The Miz
- In a must-win match for SmackDown to avoid going down 3-0, Baron Corbin delivered. The Miztourage tried their best to interfere on behalf of The Miz, but Corbin overcame the odds and came away with a huge victory for Team SmackDown. I had mentioned on our Survivor Series predictions podcast that Corbin needed this win more than The Miz. Corbin got just that, and builds some credibility towards his reign as United States Champion. Well booked, WWE.
4. The Usos def. Sheamus & Cesaro
- The Usos continue their impressive run as heels with a big win over the newly crowned RAW Tag Team Champions, Sheamus & Cesaro. A definite candidate for match of the night. Two of the top tag teams in the company put on a great 15 minute match, and SmackDown ties things up at 2 on the night!
5. Charlotte Flair def. Alexa Bliss
- Another very good match here, might have even been the best one I’ve seen Alexa Bliss be a part of. It just shows how great Charlotte already is. She makes everyone she works with better in the ring. Alexa is already impressive as 5 feet of fury, but she looked even better next to Charlotte. WWE gave them 15 minutes, and they delivered a hell of a back and forth match! SmackDown takes their third match in a row to take a 3-2 series lead on the night!
6. Brock Lesnar def. AJ Styles
- This match takes the match of the night honors from me! I was excited beforehand to see that AJ Styles had won the WWE Championship from Jinder Mahal because I knew AJ Styles would be capable of putting on a much better match with Brock than Jinder would have. I was happy to see that Brock didn’t just bury the much smaller AJ Styles in this match. This one was an all-out battle. Brock’s strength and AJ’s technical wrestling made for a great match. Brock sold the hell out of the calf crusher. Brock did a great job selling everything AJ Styles brought to the table to give the fans the feeling that maybe..just maybe AJ could knock off the beast. It didn’t happen though, the beast conquers AJ Styles with one F5 and we are all tied up at 3 heading into our main event!
7. Team RAW (Braun Strowman, Finn Balor, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe & Triple H) def. Team SmackDown (Bobby Roode, John Cena, Randy Orton, Shane McMahon & Shinsuke Nakamura)
- An awesome main event filled with a lot of action over a half hour!
- Biggest disappointment to me in this one: Samoa Joe eliminated first for Team RAW. I was hoping to see him booked stronger in this match.
- Second disappointment to me: John Cena. I felt like he was not really into this match at all and didn’t have any notable moments aside from eliminating Joe.
- But let’s get to the good stuff. Triple H turns his back on Kurt Angle and gets him eliminated and teases an alignment with Shane McMahon. And then swerves everyone again and just pedigrees him to seal the win for Team RAW. Kurt Angle’s job as General Manager of RAW is saved with the victory. The inevitable match against Triple H has to be coming sooner rather than later.
- Braun’s destruction of Triple H after the match was great. Is this a potential tease for a future match between the two? Royal Rumble? Wrestlemania? I am curious to see how that plays out going forward!
An all-around well booked PPV, in my opinion. It was refreshing to see some of the matches between both brands. Every match was pretty good overall. AJ Styles & Brock Lesnar take my match of the night honors.
What did you think of Survivor Series? And what was your favorite match of the night? Sound off on social media or in the comments below!
Thanks for reading!
– Macho Man Matty Savage
Twitter – @_SmackTalk
Instagram – @_SmackTalk
Facebook – Facebook.com/WWESmackTalkhttps://www.myfantasysportstalk.com/the-matty-savage-review-survivor-series-2017/https://i2.wp.com/www.myfantasysportstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/brock-vs-styles759.jpg?fit=759%2C422&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/www.myfantasysportstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/brock-vs-styles759.jpg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1Recent PostsWWEAJ Styles,alexa bliss,Alicia Fox,Asuka,Baron Corbin,Bayley,becky lynch,Big E,bobby roode,braun strowman,Brock Lesnar,Carmella,Cesaro,Charlotte,Charlotte Flair,Dean Ambrose,finn balor,John Cena,Kofi Kingston,Kurt Angle,Naomi,Natalya,nia jax,People's Podcast,Randy Orton,raw,Roman Reigns,Samoa Joe,Sasha Banks,SDLive,Seth Rollins,Shane McMahon,sheamus,Shinsuke Nakamura,SmackTalk,Survivor Series,survivor series 2017,Tamina,The Miz,The New Day,The Shield,The Usos,Triple H,wwe,WWEUniverse,Xavier WoodsWith all the anticipation going into Survivor Series 2017, the PPV certainly delivered! It was a PPV that I was very excited for, and was impressed overall with the turnout. Let's take a look back and review each match from last night. 1. The Shield def. The New Day ...Mathew Aguiar - WWE SmackTalk email@example.comContributorMyFantasySportsTalk