The Spurs Lost the Game. Period.
While there are many bemoaning and crying that Dion Waiters pushed Manu Ginobili on the final inbounds play in Game 2 of the OKC vs SAS series. There was a plethora of missed calls and bad decision-making that ultimately points to the Spurs as the ones who choked away a win. Let’s rewind the tape and write-up the litany of mistakes.
- Ginobili stepped on the line and crowded Waiters, this is a technical foul and should have resulted in a free throw and OKC getting the ball.
- Waiters did foul Ginobili with a push-off elbow.
- Waiters seems to jump on the in-bounds, should be an automatic turnover.
- Danny Green fouls Kevin Durant, resulting in a steal.
- Kawhi Leonard held Russell Westbrook, not allowing him to get open, should have been a foul.
- Serge Ibaka held Aldridge and Leonard on the rebound.
- A fan grabbed hold of Steven Adams not allowing him to get back into the play.
If fans want to bemoan a missed call, then you must bemoan all the missed calls. The first offense was Ginobili stepping on the line, which lead to the push-off elbow. But the refs swallowed the whistle and let them play. What happened next? San Antonio got a steal, off of a no call foul, with Durant on the floor the Spurs had a 3 on 1 fast-break, with 13 seconds left, and a time out. What does all this result in? A corner three for Patty Mills with Steven Adams coming at him.
That is the real failure.
Any coach would rather have a 3 on 1 fast-break with the game in the balance, than an inbound from the half. Danny Green floated the ball to Mills giving him no room for a lay-up so he found Ginobili, who instead of shooting one of his floaters, did a behind the head toss back to Mills, who clanked the shot. Then came the chaos for the rebound.
No time out, no smart thinking Spurs basketball. They ended up in a more advantageous position than that offensive foul would have given them and they failed.
There were plenty of non calls in those last 15 seconds, and the refs let the players decide the game, the Spurs lost it. Plain and simple.
Latest posts by Michael Gomez (see all)
- Mayweather vs. McGregor is Good for Boxing - June 16, 2017
- The Carolina Panthers need to draft Fournette - April 25, 2017
- UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson 2 MFST Staff Predictions - April 8, 2017