Upset Watch: College Basketball teams that will lose today
The college basketball season is in full-swing and after an epic Tip-Off Marathon, we have tournaments going down all over the country today and this weekend. Analyzing these matchups, I suspect we will have a handful of power-five conference teams losing to mid-majors in what could be resume-boosting wins for some programs. Here are the teams I think will be upset by night’s end.
Winthrop (2-0) vs Florida State (2-0) [NIT Season Tip-Off]
- The Winthrop Eagles are my early-season ‘Cinderella’ team. I said on the My Fantasy Podcast that this team will make it to the Sweet 16 by seasons end.
- Keep your eye on Keon Johnson who is a ‘do-everything’ guard for the Eagles and is just plain fun to watch.
- If Florida State is going to win they will need to pass the ball more. They are currently tied for 184th in the country in assists per game. Someone other than Dwayne Bacon needs to step up for the Seminoles.
Prediction: Winthrop 81 Florida State 73
Monmouth (1-1) at #18 Syracuse (2-0) [Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational]
- Monmouth should have made the Tournament last season, but were one of the biggest snubs by the selection committee.
- They return potential Player of the Year candidate PG Justin Robinson, who needs to shoot better from the floor if the Hawks are going to pull the upset. So far this season Robinson is shooting a paltry 28% from the field.
- If Syracuse is going to stop the upset bid, Center Paschal Chukwu will need to be a force in the paint. He is averaging two blocks a game and will need to thwart the Hawks guards from doing what they do best–drive the lane.
Prediction: Monmouth 71 Syracuse 70
Northern Iowa (2-0) vs Oklahoma (2-0) [Tire Pros Invitational]
- Northern Iowa is the cream of the crop when it comes to mid-majors in college basketball. Every year they are in the tournament and even though they lost a lot of talent to graduation, this team can be just as good this year.
- The Panthers starting five can all shoot from anywhere on the court and play solid defense.
- Oklahoma hasn’t been challenged this season and Jordan Woodard has looked like a real floor general. This game will be close throughout.
Prediction: Northern Iowa 80 Oklahoma 73
Michigan (2-0) vs SMU (2-0) [2K Classic]
- SMU has looked dominant to start the season, completely dismantling a talented Pittsburgh team 76-67 on Thursday.
- Forward Semi Ojeleye is a guy to watch for the Mustangs, he is averaging over 22 points per game to go along with 9 rebounds and 1 block.
- Michigan looked human against IUPUI, but came back strong in a blowout win over Marquette.
- If SMU is going to win they need to shut down D.J. Wilson who is close to averaging a double-double (9 points 11 rebounds)
Prediction: SMU 75 Michigan 70
Ohio (2-0) vs Georgia Tech (2-0) [Global Sports Shootout]
- Ohio is a potential Tournament team coming out of the MAC, led by forward Antonio Campbell
- The Bobcats are averaging 87 points per game and can score from all over the court.
- The Yellow Jackets are at the bottom of the ACC, and if you listen to our own Brandon Reid, they employ the worst coach in the conference as well (Josh Pastner).
- This “upset” will not be close from the beginning.
Prediction: Ohio 81 Georgia Tech 68
Dan Schalk covers College Basketball for MFST, you can follow him on Twitter @FFSportsTalk